Wednesday 17 January 2018

OUGD601 - Production of final designs

Once the final designs were finalised I undertook a test print of the covers and stickers. Using 90 gsm cartridge paper for both, this test was to see if the measurements were right as well seeing how the covers and stickers would work together.



















The test prints were a success with measurements for both stickers and covers being correct. The print quality from the studios printer was satisfactory, even to the quality where these prints could even be a final piece. With the only issue being the layout when you print double sided always seems to be wrong. I creased each fold by hand for the tests as they were only 90 gsm but for the final prints I planned to use the folding machine in the digital print room.

I pre booked a print slot before Christmas for the 18th January but as I was ahead of schedule I was eager to get the final prints done early, then if any changes needed to be made I could correct them at the original print slot. Luckily enough I was able to use a peers print slot which they unable to attend on the 12th January. Before I printed I examined a number of stocks in the print room and compared them to a cassette cover example I had on me, and the common weight seems to be 120 gsm so I went with a 120 gsm stock with a smooth finish. For the cassette stickers I used a matte finish sticker, which did slightly change the colours but I discussed this with James and nothing could be done.


















Once the printing was complete I made measurements of the folds in the covers, but only for me to realise the fold measurements were too small for the folding machine which is predominately meant for zines. Therefore, I had to fold by using a ruler and making sure each fold was precise. Another issue that arisen was when I trimmed the artwork, and discovered the artwork one side wasn't centred. Meaning the trimming would affect one sides bleed more than the other. This issue has happened before when printing double sided and occurs when the paper sizes are different by the slightest of measurements. This problem was out of my hand and luckily it isn't that noticeable on the covers, with only The Man Machine cover being detectable. The issue can be seen below.





No comments:

Post a Comment