Sunday 21 January 2018

OUGD601 - Evaluation

When looking back on this module, I knew it would be stressful and demanding at times. However, by conducting research on electronic music I feel as though my passion for the subject has made this a more enjoyable module than I imagined. When finishing second year I knew I had to choose a subject that I'm passionate about to allow myself to push on into third year. And by focusing on electronic music it has allowed me to further my knowledge of the genre, as well as correlating it to my practice. Although, what I originally set out to achieve changed during this module, as at first I was focusing on the issue of 'noise' in electronic music and graphic design. I feel as though my extensive research in the early stages of the module allowed me to look past noise, while still using research I already found.

Instead on noise, I discovered the issue of appropriation in electronic music and how its pivotal in the culture. In the essay I showed a broad range of themes and topics linked to appropriation while managing to link each one correctly. Each subject point in the essay has further opened my eyes to the relationship between graphic design and electronic music, and its encouraged me to further this research past context of practice. Additionally, its opened up new paths of research I feel, such as the role of robots in electronic music? The research conducted on Kraftwerk and Warp Records enabled me to look past my initial intentions and brainstorm new ideas that maybe can showcase how robots are also so pivotal in electronic music.

My research definitely progressed but I feel maybe the inclusion of some interviews could have benefited the essay, as well as me. In terms of the practical outcome, I am very pleased with the work I have produced. One difference I've noticed this year is the quality in my practical work compared to other context of practice modules. In the past I've rushed the outcomes relating to the essay which doesn't create a well rounded project. Nonetheless, this time round I believe I've fixed this issue by conducting practical research and more development.

I'm also pleased with the correlation to the essay but how I think i've pushed this further and brought it into the present. The links to the essay are the three albums I analyse and the issue of appropriation and why Kraftwerk did this. However, for the practical I wanted to repurpose these albums for the modern day while still bearing in mind what Kraftwerk were aiming to achieve in the 70s. As a result, i've achieved this while always linking back to the key research from the essay about Kraftwerk.

On a personal level I also feel positive about this module as i've managed my time and workflow. The booking of print slots and photography studios has given me individual deadlines to work towards and also allowed me back up options as I tried to hit personal deadlines early.

No comments:

Post a Comment